Monday, October 31, 2011

The Cheshire Cat: Chapter 23

Cheshire Cat: Copper, Silver Leaf, Polyester
First- I don't actually know it's polyester. I bought it back a month ago, and I've forgotten and didn't write it down. Eventually, I'll change the description to "cloth" or "mesh" but right now, polyester seems pretty funny.

According to Borges, the phrase "grin like a Cheshire cat" existed pre-alice. I didn't know that.Borges knew many things I do not know. Borges also puts the Cheshire Cat- known for his grin- in the same chapter as the Killkenny cats- known for their teeth. I wanted teeth, and that crescent moon smile, and a suggestion of a cat. I based this mask very loosely on an African mask, and, somehow, ended up with a Cheshire cat Burka, which seems very perfect, and I do hope it doesn't offend anyone. By the time I finish this book, I will have appropriated things from all sorts of cultures I know much less about, and I can only hope that everyone has a sense of humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment