Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sketches for Antelopes with Six Legs (chapter 8)

Borges actually tells the whole story for this one, and so shall I. I started by looking up cave paintings, but quickly switched to petroglyphs, mostly to try to match techniques- I wanted these little vignettes etched into the surface of the mask, and that fits better with rock carving than with painting. Also, the story is set in Siberia, and, as far as I know, there's no cave paintings we've found up that way. I'm also not at all sure that there are, or have ever been, any antelope in Siberia, but I'm not questioning these things.
For this project, I am using The Book of Imaginary Beings as my primary source, and am not, under any circumstance, looking up anyone else's pictures/interpretations of any of the beasts. That doesn't mean i can't look up anything, though- I looked up petroglyphs of antelope, and I looked up siberian petroglyphs (I found a horse) and worked these invented ones from those sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment